Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The View from Saturday, by E. L. Konigsburg

The View from SaturdayRating: 6/10
















Mrs. Olinski chooses four of her sixth-grade students at Epiphany Middle School for the Academic Bowl competition. She herself doesn't know why she chose these particular kids. They are a diverse group: Noah, a calligraphy enthusiast; red-haired Nadia, who is fond of baby turtles; quiet Ethan; and Julian, an persecuted Indian boy who invites the others to tea and so establishes their group: the Souls. The team becomes about much more than academic achievement.

I enjoyed this one, although at first I was annoyed by it. I usually don't go in for books that clearly try to be clever and unique and are, frankly, weird (except A Series of Unfortunate Events, of course). But I came to like the characters and care about them. It was fun to read from each child's perspective and also from Mrs. Olinski's. Each discovered something valuable and had a turn-around. I like how they all came together despite their differences and problems.


I'm glad I finally read this book-it has gathered dust in my room for quite a while!

No comments:

Post a Comment