Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Black Opal, by Victoria Holt

The Black Opal

Rating: 7/10


I'm usually not attracted to books that are pure romance or mystery, but after reading Holt's Pride of the Peacock, I decided to try other books of hers. She was a very prolific author, with several pen names.

As a baby, Carmel March was left under an azalea bush in the garden of a wealthy English family. Everyone believes that she was left by a gypsy, and she never feels that she is wanted in the Marline household, called Commonwood House. That changes when Carmel meets her kind Uncle Toby when he comes to visit. One day he takes her away to Australia with him, and she later finds out that she was being removed from the scene of a murder that took place at Commonwood House. Carmel returns to England after she is grown and tries to put the pieces of her past together and clear an innocent man's name.

I was pleasantly surprised that this book was not purely a romantic mystery, but had some substance. In it Carmel copes with grief and the complications of relationships, especially family ones.

After reading two of Holt's books, a pattern has already surfaced: they both start from the beginning of the heroine's life, which is full of secrets and mysteries that are resolved throughout the book. There is a murder, and a romance. I also noticed that both were hard to get into at first, but worth sticking to as I became attached to the characters.

Holt is a good writer, and I will be reading more of her books - I have two or three waiting in my closet. I don't mind patterns in books. What counts to me is what is done with the patterns.




Catherine, Called BirdyCatherine, Called Birdy, by Karen Cushman

Rating: 2/10


The main reason I read this book was that one of my favorite authors, Shannon Hale, loves it. The other was that I thought it sounded good. Oh boy was I wrong!

This book is in diary format, and follows the story of Catherine, a clever and spirited girl, in the year 1290. Her greedy father brings old and repulsive suitors to their home and tries to marry her off to them because they are rich. Catherine does all she can to thwart her father's efforts.

I could hardly get through it. It was really rather disgusting and distasteful. All I was thinking was congratulations, you're a tomboy who wishes she could 'fart' at will. Round of applause for Catherine.There were too many mentions of 'passing wind' and so on. I didn't find Catherine very lovable, although her descriptions of a saint at the beginning of each entry were amusing. The book didn't entertain me or make me feel sympathy for her at all.

Or maybe I've just read too many books about heroines who hate embroidery and flout the feminine ideals of their day. Somehow I don't think so. I don't really get tired of that as long as it's done well, like in Ella Enchanted. Whatever the case, this book turned me off. I was highly disappointed, because I love Hale's books.

It seems more and more that I like author's books more than their recommendations. Interesting...



No comments:

Post a Comment