Thursday, December 9, 2010

Mistress Pat, by L. M. Montgomery

Mistress Pat (Pat Book 2)Rating: 8/10

Pat, now twenty, loves Silver Bush more with every passing year, and feels that it is the only source of satisfaction and consistency in her life. She spurns beaus and marriage in order to stay at her home, much to the disapproval of those around her. No matter how hard Pat tries to keep change from Silver Bush, it comes, in the way of a new hired man, irksome in-laws, and much more she doesn't anticipate.

There were a lot of changes in this one! Even I, the reader, had misgivings about a new person (the hired man) at Silver Bush. But I ended up liking Tillytuck enormously, just like Pat and her family.

*Judy is as delightful as ever-so wise and cheery. I find myself thinking in her vernacular-and liking it! The opening scene in this book is great, when the women at Silver Bush gather in the 'silver bush' to do their work. Great dialogue and atmosphere.

*I liked Suzanne Kirk, Pat's new neighbor, and felt so sorry for her when Pat ignored her for 'laughing' at Silver Bush. Pat is more touchy and protective than ever of her home.

*I could've shaken Rae (Pat's younger sister) many times! But especially Mr. Wheeler, the flirty, nasty minister she falls in love with. At many points, though, Rae is very strong and practical. Sometimes it's as if she is the older sister. And I love her relationship with Pat.

* I agree with what Uncle Horace says about books: '"Real life! We get enough real life living. I like a nice snug tidy ending in a book with all the loose ends tucked in."'

* A thought of Pat's I like: 'Pat didn't like a cloudless sky...it always seemed to her to be hard and remote...a few clouds made it friendly...humanised it.' Yep!

Okay, some more general stuff here. Pat rises very well to the challenge of dealing with changes that come her way. It's amazing how Montgomery changes the tone of her books when the characters grow up. To be sure, her books aren't only for children. In fact, in many ways they might miss and loveliness and wisdom of her stories, although they enjoy them. Not to insult children, but I just don't like labels on books to be taken very seriously. Anyone of any age can enjoy and learn from any book.

Mistress Pat is reminiscent of Emily's Quest in some ways; hope that doesn't give anything away. Pat comes to wonder if she really can be happy only at Silver Bush, and as she struggles to keep things as they are, her life becomes rather lonely and empty, and she has doubts.

A few complaints: More of Hilary (Jingle)! And the ending was a bit too abrupt for me. I like big changes and realizations to have several pages to settle in before the story ends.
I can't help resenting Montgomery a little for two things that happen towards the end. But I suppose they were necessary and inevitable. And that just emphasizes that Montgomery is so good she makes me suffer or be joyful along with her characters.
Also, there was one end that was kind of left loose, but luckily it isn't too major.

These are some quotes of Judy's I find worthy of putting in here:

"There do be always new good coming up to take the place av the old that goes, Patsy." Wise Judy.

"God must be liking a bit av fun, too, Patsy, when he made us so fond av it."

"I've been having a long life, Patsy, and minny things to be thankful for but nothing more than me liddle gift av seeing something to laugh at in almost iverything."

"There'll be a way," said Judy gently. "There always do be a way."

"Love don't iver be dying, Patsy."

'As Judy would say, there was always something to take the edge off.'

So, that's that. I wish there were more books about Pat! If only Montgomery was living, she could write endless sequels to all her books. But I can always read them over and over again =).

I'm now on the last of Montgomery's novels I hadn't read-A Tangled Web. It's rather heart-breaking to be at the end of them, but I still have all her short-story collections left. Hee!

No comments:

Post a Comment