Monday, December 6, 2010

The Golden Road, by L. M. Montgomery

The Golden Road (The Story Girl #2)Rating: 7/10

The King children and their friends are back, getting into scrapes and adventures, and listening, enchanted, to the Story Girl's stories. These are their last years together on the 'golden road' of youth and its dreams. To liven up their time together, they start a newspaper of their own.

It's getting difficult to review Montgomery's books without repeating myself and sounding hackneyed, so I will talk about things unique to this book.

This one was better for me than its predecessor, The Story Girl-though I sometimes wonder how much the time and place we read books impact our liking of them.

I like Bev's narration, and the way he slips quotes into conversations in the beginning is very cute. Felicity is amusing with her prim-and-proper mannerism. I feel a bit sorry for Sara Ray, who's portrayed as so pathetic and insignificant! But I must admit that her incessant crying gets a little exasperating. It's nice when she 'shows a flash of spirit'. I like my spirited characters :). I really like Uncle Blair, the Story Girl's father.

It rather annoys me that most of the Story Girl's stories are about romance, but I cannot deny that they are exciting stories. I loved the story The Christmas Harp, and the one about Mr. and Mrs. Davidson (erm, can't remember what it was...lol).

The Awkward Man sounds exactly like me! I tend to avoid eye contact and blush when speaking with people, especially men. Like it says about the Awkward Man: 'he was in an agony of painful blushes.' I feel for you, Awkward Man! Too bad we can't have a talk...although, we might not get anywhere because we would likely both be blushing and staring fixedly at our feet.
His love story is really beautiful. I'm glad that the mystery of his locked room was cleared up from the prequel, The Story Girl. Montgomery seems to have a high esteem for marriage, which is interesting because her own marriage wasn't exactly happy. Well, I guess the fact that she didn't find the man exactly right for her doesn't stop her characters from it.

Sara Stanley (the Story Girl)'s idea that thoughts have colors is interesting. But when I try to imagine which thoughts are which colors, nothing comes to mind!

Montgomery contrives the most incredible scenarios! The newspaper was very funny, with the children's comments sprinkled throughout. All the misspelling and misconceptions-this book captures youth, the 'golden road'.
Poor Cecily, with her persistent guy-I know what that's like!

'Nothing is ever really lost to us as long as we remember it.' How true. I've always believed that.

The Golden Road is sad, touching, hilarious, enchanted, beautiful...so many things, like all of her books. I would have liked some sort of epilogue though. It's clearly implied what will happen to some of the characters, but still.

The two 'Story Girl' books are a little forgettable for me, unlike Montgomery's other books (except Kilmeny of the Orchard), but I still like them a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment